In an interview with U.S. media on Air Force One on January 5, Trump again threatened to launch a strike on the Iranian cultural site. Trump has previously tweeted a similar threat.
Trump made the statement on Air Force One on January 5, CNN reported. \"They can kill, torture and kill our people, they can kill our people with roadside bombs, and we can't touch their cultural sites? It doesn't make sense. Trump said.
Asked about Iran's vow to retaliate against General Sleimani's death, Mr Trump said,\" If this happens, then it happens. If they do anything, they will suffer massive retaliation.
Trump's comments come just after two senior administration officials revealed to US media that there were strong voices within the Trump administration opposing attacks on Iranian cultural sites.
\"Nothing unites the Iranians more than the deliberate destruction of precious cultural heritage.\" One of the officials told CNN that \"the practices of ISIS and Nazi Germany have already told us that deliberate attacks on sites that are of great significance to civilization are not only immoral but also self-destructive.\" (For more original information, please download the \"Surging News\" app)