[World Wide Web Reporter Liu Yang] Tensions in the U.S.-Iran standoff spiked early Friday morning after several loud noises outside Baghdad's airport and the death of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Brigade Al-Quds Brigade Brigade Lt. Gen. Sleimani by U.S. drone strikes. Who pushed Trump to kill? The Washington Post on Friday launched a long secret report that it was Secretary of State Pompeo.
The article, titled \"The killing of Suleimani comes months after Pompeo pushed for an aggressive move against Iran, but the air strikes carry huge risks,\" said Pompeo was woken up by an emergency call at 4 a.m. on Thursday when he was told that the U.S. embassy in Baghdad was under siege by numerous protesters. By then, demonstrators had begun throwing incendiary bombs into the embassy, threatening the safety of American diplomats. Pompeo spoke to Warden Esper at 4.30am, along with the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Mili, and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, Matthew Thule.
An anonymous u.s. official told the washington post that a few days later, mr. pompeo repeatedly spoke to mr. trump, lobbying the latter to kill mr. suleimani, and vice president mr. pence supported mr. pompeo. In fact, last year, when iran shot down american drones, mr. pompeo had pushed for mr. trump to be hard on iran, but the latter's refusal was \"very depressing\" for mr. pompeo. But now the president is beginning to fear that he will be \"hesitant\" to face iran's \"advance\" if he doesn't, so he waits for his green light.
《 Washington Post said Pompeo's calculations were clear, slamming his predecessor, Hillary Clinton, for failing to protect American diplomats in Benghazi, Libya. But none of the concerns prevented Pompeo from pushing the president for a targeted purge. "We removed a wicked man from the battlefield, we made the right decision and I'm proud of President Trump's efforts," Pompeo told CNN.
As early as a few months ago, Pompeo admonished Trump for removing Suleimani, but neither the president nor Pentagon officials agreed with the choice, a U.S. administration source said. Over the past year or so, u. s. defense officials have warned the president against the latter's escalation of sanctions against iran, and don't agree with the escalation of the tense confrontation with tehran, which would involve a lot of u. s.resources, which many in the pentagon want to invest more in east asia than in the middle east.
Trump is also hoping to deliver on a promise to reduce the U.S. military presence in the Middle East, the article said. But on december 27th 30 rockets were fired at a base that u.s. troops shared with iraqi forces in kirkuk, killing a u.s. civilian contractor and injuring several others. Two days later, Pompeo and Miley came to Trump's Sea Lake estate to show the latter the counter-attack options that the United States could have, including the removal of Suleimani, and Trump chose to agree.
《 The Washington Post says none of this would have happened if the U.S. defenseman had been Mattis. Pompeo's push for Trump's killing of an Iranian general poses multiple risks to the United States:
Will there be another protracted regional war in the Middle East? Will the process against Islamic State be interrupted? Will hopes for a peaceful resolution of the Iranian nuclear issue be dashed? Will Iraq bounce back?